Thursday, January 21, 2010

Growing and tearing down

Got a cool surprise this morning when I went to check the moisture of the seed pots. Nearly every single thing we planted this past weekend is already sprouting! At least in one container. I've kept a heating pad on low under that container. Once theses plants develop some leaves, I'll move the heating pad to the other container. I've never had this many things growing at once in my life! 

Found a good deal at Family Dollar. Two bulbs which simulate sunlight spectrum for $.75! Got 4 and will snatch some more up if I find them. Now I have a lamp aimed at the plants with one of the bulbs. 

Yesterday, the wind tore the temp solarium to pieces. Ripped the anchors right out of the cinder block walls. I was using plastic anchors but the same kind of anchors are holding up shelves inside the house with hundreds of pounds on them, haven't moved a millimeter. Assessed the damage this morning, found screws ripped out, wood split in many places. Not going to rebuild it. Not enough winter left to warrant the effort and expense. Just took the chain saw to it. Lots of wood left which will be good for a trellis or something.

May sound counterproductive but I now have six piles of wood in the yard. Some is very green, some is treated, some is cut for the fireplace, some still needs to be cut. Much has to be chopped down for next year's firewood pile.

Started taking down the wooden fence. Learned that much of the frame was built with scrap lumber to begin with, so it's no wonder it's falling apart. Noted at least five to six kinds of nails and screws used on it. Some of that overlaps the cinder block wall I'll be taking down for reuse in the permanent solarium. Still not sure how next door neighbors will react but they don't speak English and I don't speak Spanish. They have a wire fence parallel to the wooden fence. If they're concerned about privacy, they can put up a privacy fence or wait until I build the solarium, which will have translucent material on that side. Not like I'm going to be standing out in the yard and staring at them, any way. Not being rude but this fence is not very safe and not attractive at all. Maybe if someone had painted or treated it when it was built but that didn't happen.

No word of any work tonight. Got boxes and piles of papers sorted out last night, then cleaned out the filing cabinet. Filed most of the stuff I need to keep. If now work tonight, I'll finish organizing the office at last. (If I do work, I'll do it this weekend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment