Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tree cutting





















So, I started cutting down the cottonwood yesterday, seen in pics above. First pic is after one lower branch removed. Shows how close the tree is to the house, along with the large branch overhanging the roof. Second pic shows what a challenge it is to bring this thing down properly and safely. Besides, I would not want this tree to eventually fall by itself. Then it would definitely hit the wires straight on.


The power and phone lines are off to one side of the tree, in the direction it leans. On the other side is the fence between my property and the neighbors. This gives me a fairly narrow window in which to bring the tree down without destroying anything. The lean of the tree makes it more difficult. What helps a bit is the large branches to one side, which help pull the weight the direction I want. Going to attach a cable tensioner with a rope or chain to the trunk to help more. So, I have to judge the angle of each cut very carefully.


Leave it to me. First tree I ever fell and it has to be taken down very precisely.


I don't have the equipment needed to take the top down before the main trunk. Using a ladder, I would anticipate a spring in the trunk if I cut higher up. 

So far, each cut I've made has worked out just as I had planned. The large branch overhanging the roof was difficult but I cut it slowly and let it split, so the weight came down on the roof gradually. If I had done it differently, I was afraid of major damage resulting. I'll take the trunk down so it comes down slowly, as well. That way I avoid too much bounce.

My daughter will be here tomorrow night, so I need to take the main trunk down before then. Don't want to do it with her here. Too tired for it right now. Just got off work after 13 hours. This evening or tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment