Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Portable trellis?

Looks like I'm going to have to build a portable trellis and transfer some of the vining plants pretty soon. Some of them have already grown at least 6" long, with no sign of slowing. I can use some of the wood from the downed temp solarium and make a trellis of 3-4' high. If the plants continue responding to the lights I have in place, I may actually have vegetables forming before I can even transfer the plants outside. Wasn't quite counting on that but not exactly depressed about it! Talk about getting a jump on the growing season.. Of course, some of that depends on pollination.


Right now, the plants which have sprouted are: 11 pumpkin, 15 tomato (salad and cherry), 6 green bean, 11 peas, 6 honeydew, 12 cantaloupe, 2 jalapeno and an uncounted number of flowers, Delphinium, Zinnia and Cornflower. 


Got more seeds today, for the corn, cucumbers and watermelon I wanted to plant. Plus I picked up some Snapdragon flower seeds for my daughter. Looks like we should have a rather colorful yard this year!

Funny thing. My ex is engaged and they are going to live together before getting married. They just signed a lease on a house which has a small solarium attached. Plus, he lost his job a couple of months ago because the business went under. Last week, he started a new job- at some kind of solar design company. Very strange, since I've been working on all this solar stuff for a while now and neither of them expressed any interest in it at all. Either my karma is getting tied up with theirs or there are some plans in store for my daughter in that direction. I'm betting on the latter.

All this stuff I'm getting into has a positive effect on my daughter. Anytime she encounters anything with seeds in it, she brings it to me and wants to plant the seeds. This weekend, she found two pecans from a neighbor's tree. She brought them home, wanted to split one with me and plant the other. We did and she enjoyed the pecan (which she did not so much before).

I'm still a bit sore from cutting, splitting and moving about 1/3 cord of wood yesterday. However, I got several piles consolidated, so I'm now down to four wood piles in the yard from six. One green, one seasoned (and cut), two treated or questionable. I'll consolidate those and move them soon.

Spread a full bucket of wood ash and raked it in where the garden was this past year. I know, ashes make the soil more alkaline. However, since the soil was so sandy and lacked so much else, I have no reason to believe it contained enough carbon for plants to develop properly. Carbon is like amino acids for plants, the basic building blocks of their structure. Not enough carbon, plants grow slowly or just don't grow. Besides, I'm adding various substances to the compost to increase the soil acidity. That's one reason I want to grow lots of pepper plants. Better, safer option than lime. Just grow extra peppers in the garden and add them to the compost pit and you can more safely adjust the soil pH to be more acidic. Big problem here, as alkaline as the soil is.

Took down some more of the wooden fence this evening. I'd like to get the whole thing down this week or early next week, so I can start taking down the block wall. Decided on a staging area for the blocks, which is out of the way of construction but convenient, as well. It's where more trees will eventually be planted.

As I've been taking down the fence, I've learned that I have more trees on my property than I had thought. I had believed 3-4 trees were on the neighbor's property but it turns out they're on my own and were growing behind the wooden fence! At least two are flowering trees, though I'm not yet sure what kind. Figure it out when they flower, I guess! I moved in last year after they had lost their blooms. Daughter should love when they flower this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment