Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving 2010!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, happy and safe TG!

Mine is done, having celebrated with my daughter yesterday. Was scheduled to work last night but got canceled at the last minute. Kept my daughter here a little later. She gets sad when she has to go. So do I. It really sucks not having her here all the time. But maybe we enjoy each other's company more because it's not constant.

Managed to keep everything completely gluten free. For me, at least. I did make some regular chocolate chip cookies for daughter and others. (Had to keep avoiding the urge to lick my fingers after placing each batch on the pans!)

Made the onions for green bean casserole with milk and egg dip, then floured with corn flour, gluten free flour, arrow root and spices. Came out great! Couldn't tell they were gluten free at all! Little tip- don't shop for corn flour. Look for dry corn masa mix. Exact same thing, half the price or less.

Dressing was pure white cornbread. A little loose but good. Just made it very moist. Next time I'll use some gum of some type (guar, xanthan or cellulose) i did use some egg for cohesion but best to not do that again for me. Reaction to eggs also has gotten more pronounced. Blah!

During the day, I had dry ice to keep leftovers cool. Then put it all outside last night. It all froze. In ice chests now. In plastic containers, of course. Supposed to freeze every night this week. New thought is to place ziplock bags of water outside at night. Good for keeping things which can't be frozen. I find $2 a bag for frozen water to be ridiculous. Besides, the ziplock bags would be reuseable.

Now I still have some leftover dishes and pots and pans to wash. Yech! Then going to try making my own gluten free cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment