Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Restless

Kind of restless. Slept longer than intended today.

Last year, the weather changed early and drastically here. This year it is changing later and more gradually.

Last winter I also had so many drafts in my house I couldn't isolate them well. I weatherstripped the windows and tried to seal some other drafts but even finding them was a challenge. Now I'm finding and sealing them off. One major step was a few days ago. After finding some trouble spots, I got a couple of cans of Dow Great Stuff. This stuff is named right! I cleared and cleaned the planned areas to seal and set to work. It only took a few minutes and one can to seal drafts in several walls and below the back door. This stuff expanded to fill some huge spaces. Once cured, it becomes windproof and water proof. It's awesome! Can also be sanded and painted.

I also hung a tarp as a curtain between the living and dining rooms. This slows the migration of heated air through the house.

Had a wind storm yesterday and experienced no major drafts. Temp dropping to 20's this week and not nearly as cold as last year.

Really happy to be getting things more secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment