Saturday, March 10, 2012

Mini greenhouses

May not help a lot of people to mention but I got a couple of mini greenhouses this past week for starting seeds and such. They were on clearance at Family Dollar. They carried them last year but apparently decided not to continue them this year, so marked them down to $9. I've seen the same things for $25 at home improvement stores. It's just a set of shelves with a clear plastic zipping cover. 

I would have built some of these if I had the time. Simple construction and would be inexpensive to make. Just too much else going on for that right now. 

Still, they will work rather well for starting warm weather seeds and such for later rotation. Can start the strawberries, tomatoes and melons in them now. The mini greenhouses are placed outside, next to the back wall of the house. That should pretty much eliminate the need for hardening off. Going to start filling them up this weekend. Then just rotate out as lettuce and spinach bolt.

Not seeing much activity in the garden as yet. I know, I'm so impatient. Only planted a week ago and weather is still cold at night. Just hoping to have some kind of cool weather crops before temps hit the 80's. Lettuce and spinach have a really narrow window to germinate here. Going to plant out the multi-colored carrots this weekend. 

Daughter and I will also form and plant the north garden this weekend. Corn, potatoes and some pumpkins, especially giants. If the pumpkins start growing, I'll have a greater chance at a real giant this year. Besides, the plants help the corn grow by acting as natural living mulch. Can plant green beans later, once the corn starts to grow. If corn doesn't grow well, I'll still have time to put up trellises. If pumpkins don't grow yet, I'll have time to replant, since normal pumpkin planting here is around June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment