Sunday, March 11, 2012

Snow

Looked out the window a short while ago and saw that it's snowing. Guess that makes it better that things haven't been sprouting yet. It shouldn't stick long once the sun comes up and the moisture should help. Least I don't have to water in the morning.

However, if not seeing some thing sprout in another week, will likely replant a few things.

Decided not to form the north garden this weekend. Do it next weekend. The plow attachment for the tiller went on sale for 50% off and I ordered one. Save my shoulders a bit of pain. 

Was looking back over some companion planting guides and seems I can reorganize a few things. Potatoes are the biggest issue at the moment and I'm not planting a lot of those. 

Think I've made a mistake in the past of planting too many high crops, maybe not enough low ones. Or at least haven't had much success with low ones. Going to work on that this year, maintain more low crops to help control soil temperature and moisture. 

Last year, my garden was a tragedy. Then again, so were most gardens and farms in this area. Hoping and trying for much better this year. I think tilling, sulfur, last year's wood chips and gypsum applications will help a lot. Combine with lower mounds and it will help maintain moisture better. Throw in the well pump soon. I'm going to let the compost sit for a while and cook. When the weather begins to heat up, then start adding that on top. Still in the process of learning in an environment which requires a steep curve. I'm sure I'm getting there but the next few weeks should tell quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment