Sunday, March 4, 2012

New approach

Daughter and I planted some things across the entire south garden today. Onions, 4-5 kinds of lettuce, spinach, various kinds of carrots, cucumbers, broccoli and dill. 

Used the new planter/furrower attachment for the tiller. It was a disappointment. Didn't form rows like I was expecting. More like single tiller blades instead of dual blades. Still had to use a shovel to form mounds. They will be good for cultivating between narrow rows but not so good for planting. I used them for half the south garden, then switched back to the duals for the other half. 

Along the way, decided to go with a different layout this year. Previously, I planted tall or trellised crops in groups. This year, I'm planting tall/trellised crops every other row and alternating with low crops in between. That reduces the need for wider trenches for access and allows me to fit more crops in the same space. If the taller crops grow fast enough, it should also provide some shade to the lower crops and may extend their season. As it is, I now have 21-22 mounds in the south garden, compared to 14-16 last year. 

I also made the mounds shorter in height. Taller mounds may be good for more damp environments but dry out too quickly here. Lower mounds will retain moisture at the roots zone better. Drainage isn't a problem here, when it so rarely rains. When it does rain, it can flood but ends quickly and absorbs in short order. 


Daughter also helped plant the one rose bush I got last week. It was forming leaves already. 


She also helped me run some branches through the wood chipper. Safe enough. With this chipper, you'd have to be quite determined to injure yourself to get past the guards on it. Still, I showed her how to use it safely and she has a strong sense of self-preservation. Plus I watched her closely for some time. 


Still didn't get to the pump today. Focused more on things my daughter and I could do together. Won't take long, so get back to it in the morning. If no success, hoping the used pump I saw on Amazon is still available.

No comments:

Post a Comment