Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Well pump arrived but..

The well pump arrived today. Looks like it should do the job! It's three times the size of the previous pump and over 40 lbs. 

However, I'm still waiting on a new foot valve to arrive. Old one isn't big enough. Have to get new, larger pipes and fittings. After considering it, did some financial calculations, then ordered the pipe jet today. Figure even if the pump will function without it, the jet will increase flow and pressure. 

I have to install electrical cable. Most pumps get attached to control boxes but I'm using an outdoor timer. So, I can use an outdoor extension cord, cut off one end and attach that. 

Still need to install an electrical outlet in the front of the house for the pump. Won't take long, as I have the wiring running to it in place inside. Just been putting it off until I get a pump up and working. It would somehow be depressing to see the outlet installed on the wall and no pump to plug in. 

Moved all the smaller plants/seedlings/starter seeds out into the mini greenhouses yesterday. Today, I moved the dormant tomatoes out next to them. Free up some room in the office and give the plants more sunlight. Reduce the need for hardening off later. As their transplant time grows near, I'll just leave the flaps open to let them adjust to the lower ambient humidity. 

Only a couple of the Butterfly Bush seeds are sprouting so far. That figures. Something considered invasive in some places is going to be difficult for me to grow. 

Daughter and I have been seeing bees and butterflies in the yard. Today, she saw a wasp. Got a hanger for the hummingbird feeder today. Put the feeder out tomorrow or this weekend. 

Got some more chipping done today. Harder to quantify because the downed trees at the back of the yard are lying on top of and entwined with each other. So it's more a matter of working on multiple trees at once. What I can say is that there is a visible difference.

I'm glad weather is warming up and the time has changed. Means I'll have more chance to work on things outside in the mornings, after work. 

Or inside. I hate waiting for the house to warm up before I really feel like doing much. By then, I'm tired and ready to sleep. I really need to get some insulating and solar heating projects done this summer, before cold weather returns. I want this house to be warm all next winter without breaking the bank to do it. Take some work but I can manage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment