Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cucumber vines!

At long last, I am seeing cucumber vines coming up! Only a few. Not really sure if the problem is weak soil or the fact that the dogs have torn apart the drip system where the cucumbers are planted multiple times. Or just that it's just now getting warm enough for them.

In any case, I planted a lot more cucumber seeds today. Just increasing my odds. Can thin them later if I need to.

Also planted lots more bush green beans. One good thing about beans is how densely you can plant them. Plus they're friendly to other plants.

Still battling weeds. Things are looking better now but still a long way to go. One problem this year is that the weeds got control last year. I had no heat tolerance last year, which I later found to be anemia. Not anemic any more, so heat tolerance is much better. Still, I'm left undoing previous damage. 

I also had things too densely planted last year. This year I'm planting densely but with more consideration to space needed for weeding and such. 

Finally winning the whitefly battle. Made a mixture of insecticidal soap and nicotine which is doing a great job. So, the sprouts are coming up much faster and with fewer casualties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment