Saturday, May 25, 2013

More irrigation repair

Last night, the dogs did more damage to the irrigation system. Heard the well pump running at a time I had no timers set. Went out to find the dogs had pulled on the piping enough to crack the PVC fittings, causing a geyser in the yard. 

I was glad the damage was the output side, not the intake side of the pump. No damage done to the pump, itself.

So, I just unplugged the pump last night. This afternoon, got parts for the whole top junction. This time in metal, so they won't crack. 

Going to replace the intake side pipes and fittings with metal this summer. I still have galvanized pipe, so just need some fittings. Have to take measurements, first. 

Guess I don't really need any more Phosphorous than what's in the fertilizer I use. Rose bushes are blooming quite well and lots of flowers coming up. Been waiting for some compost to finish before spreading it, which I can probably do this week. 

I changed the drip timing to longer, less frequent intervals, to encourage deeper roots for existing crops. Seems to be working rather well so far. The longer, deeper irrigation should also help leach the sodium downward further, away from the root zone of the plants. 

Some of the corn an tomatoes are approaching 3 ft tall now. Few sunflowers are approaching 4 ft tall. (Except the tightly grouped ones, which remain under 1 ft for now. They tend to shoot up later and all at once.)

I have a real good feeling about the garden this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment