Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Productive day

I didn't get as many things done today as I had hoped for but got some important things done.

Repaired the fence where the dogs tore a section down last night. Reinforced it with heavy gauge fencing wire. 

Then decided I was completely fed up with the dog battle. After a little research, found I could use the steel fencing wire as a conductor for an electric fence. So, I used the fencing wire, wooden stakes, insulated staples and a salvaged electric cord. (First attempt was a cord with a built-in GFCI breaker but the breaker was no good.) 

It's working! May sound mean but I have chuckled when I've heard the dogs yelp a few times. However, note that the electric cable is very close to the garden fence. If they are getting shocked, it's because they are trying to invade the garden. 

I do not feel guilty laughing because of everything the dogs have destroyed and continue to try to destroy. They have torn down sections of fence multiple times. They have chewed apart electric cords. They have dug up tomato plants and torn down stakes. Scattered seeds so lettuce and carrots are growing more in trenches than on top of the mounds, making weeding a hundred times more difficult. They've chewed up and ripped apart irrigation lines many times. Fact is, I have to walk the fence, yard and garden on a daily basis to find out what they have destroyed. 

Today, I also had to repair the intake side of the well pump because the dogs have messed with it so much the PVC intake pipe worked loose from the threaded fitting. 

Got the swamp cooler running. In this case, I connected the water supply to the well pump. Water from the well is cold (I've been told a constant 55 degrees). Ran a bleed-off line to the dogs water. Seems to be working nicely! I'm really happy with the increased humidity in the house, since ambient humidity was 5% today.

Built a few tomato supports as planned with 1x2's. Need more 1x2's to complete the job. 

A couple of the tomato plants are much bigger than I had thought. Because I had not staked them properly, they had been growing outward instead of upward. Once they had proper support, I could see their true size. They're going to be giants! 

So, not a huge number of accomplishments for one day but some significant ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment