Sunday, May 12, 2013

Saplings

Just an observation about tree saplings.

Some of the saplings I planted last year have been quite dormant until recently. Now they are beginning to show signs of life. Sometimes, not quite as I expected. 

The plum tree daughter and I planted had already formed leaves and had flowered this year. Then came multiple late freezes, which made all the leaves and flowers drop. Then the main trunk stopped showing signs of life. I thought it had died off but waited. Now it is growing a secondary trunk from the root ball! Nice! I'm doubting we'll have plums this year but happy the tree survived. 

That is the largest sapling which has done this but there are two others which are doing the same thing. Main trunk died off but they are forming secondary trunks. 

Several others are just now forming leaf buds and leaves. Guess it just wasn't warm enough for them before now. Some of those looked so gone I was about ready to cut them off at the soil. Glad I didn't. 

Okay. I have a few hours before dark. Need to go trim some grass and weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment