Sunday, May 18, 2014

Fruit!

Went out to check the fruit trees today and see how they're doing. We have fruit forming!

The red apple tree has at least 15 apples forming and the plum tree has at least 2 dozen green plums! 

No, this year begins the task of training all of the trees. Nearly all the trees are growing ancillary trunks. Conventional wisdom says to trim them back to one trunk. But I tend to enjoy taking a different approach. I did trim away most of the ancillary trunks but left two for each tree. The ancillary trunks are all very flexible, so I wrapped them around the larger trunks and tied them in place with twine. I've seen trees grow with entwined trunks in nature, so I know it's not a problem. and they will remain healthy this way. My thinking is that this will make the trees more interesting in appearance plus stronger in the 65 mph winds we get here. 

Plus, growing for fruit and preferring short, stout trees that produce decent size fruit, I'll top the trees off at 12-15 ft tall. Not full grown but not miniature, either. I think they should grow full size fruit at that height, while being primarily in reach. 

I ordered a Thompson Seedless Grape vine this week. Most people enjoy seedless grapes for eating, so it makes sense. Not taking down the seeded vines just yet but may in the future if I can propagate the seedless vines. If that happens, it will take a few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment