Friday, May 30, 2014

Impatient

No sign of life yet from the red crape myrtle. One possible leaf bud on the new grape vine but so small I can't say for sure. However, it's only been like 3 days since I got them. Of course, it's very likely the crape myrtle was stored in refrigeration, so it has to maintain a growing temperature and conditions for a while before it will awaken. 

So many grasshoppers here this year that a swarm of them showed up on weather radar this evening. There are quite a few on my side of town but most of them are on the north/northwest side. Maybe that's why the toad in the back yard is so chubby already. 

Ordered triple super phosphate today. The soil is lacking phos, so this should help produce more flowers and larger fruit. I checked and this form is water soluble, so I can apply it with the fertilizer injector. Increasing acidity has increased availability of existing phos but phos absorption by plants is definitely pH dependent and increasing acidity does not increase the phos which is present. So I will apply it in conjunction with acid treatments. Really hoping it increases the size of the tomatoes!

Cucumber vines in the containers are starting to look pretty good. One looks like it's starting to vine. 

Some of the apples on the tree are starting to gain a fairly decent size. That is, compared to apples normally seen here. (I am guessing the typically small size is related to the alkalinity of the soil.) 

As of now, I have easily applied 5 times the amount of acid so far this year as I applied all of last year or the year before. With only positive effects seen. Going to keep applying it once a week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment