Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Poor memory

I'm pretty sure I go through the same memory issues every year. Thinking things were growing earlier the previous year. That's where my blog comes in handy for me. Looked back over last year's blogs and found I had tomato plants only 1" above soil surface this time last year and didn't have any tomatoes until July. So, that helps me cool my heels and stop having unreal expectations or disappointment. If anything, I actually am ahead of last year for what tomato plants have survived. 

Once again, dogs have done damage. The one puppy without a collar for the invisible fence has been getting in the garden and doing damage. I'm currently down to 8 tomato plants. She has been pulling the weed fabric out from under the mulch and destroying tomato plants in the process. She also ate an entire flat of plants today. She goes tomorrow. Her mother goes probably Thur morning.

Got out and pulled weeds this evening. I'm still winning the battle so far this year. Getting most of the bindweed pulled before it gains any strong roots. Long as I can keep it pulled before it goes to seed, I'll have that particular war won at last.

I also trimmed the trees some more. Especially the plum tree. Twined the two remaining trunks better and tied them more. The plum trunks are thin and flexible, so it should help strengthen the tree as it grows. Trimmed all the lower branches to encourage the formation into a tree instead of a bush. Twined one very long branch of the apple tree around the main trunk for the same purpose. 

I'm impressed and happy with the apple tree this year. I've spotted 17 apples growing on it so far. Only had one or two last year. Still hoping they grow to a decent size but I'm not completely sure apples will attain a good size in the heat we experience here. Guess I'll find out eventually. 

Plums are gaining a decent size already for plums. Again, not sure just how big they will get but they look promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment