Sunday, May 4, 2014

Success so far!

The paper planters I made are showing some success so far! Sprouts coming up in a whole bunch of the paper planters that I started last week. These are intentionally large planters, so there's plenty of root space, so no need to rush to get them in the ground. These are pretty much all flowers and they could potentially remain in the planters and bloom as they are. However, these are planned for the flower bed which is currently going through the solarization process. 

Things are greening up! Unfortunately, a large part of the green in the garden is grass and weeds. Need to get out and pull a bunch of stuff. As usual, it's difficult so far to tell some weeds from some crops, until the bindweed starts vining, then I can tell the difference. Guess my biggest goal this year is to remove the bindweed before it goes to seed, so it will be easier to control next year. Keep that process going until it's gone. Same with the grass. 

I am making progress by different steps. Acidifying the soil decreases or kills some weeds. Mulching decreases area they have the ability to grow. Decreasing the growth area means less space to have to control. Chemicals applied around the garden means fewer seeds blown in. Keeping the dogs out means fewer weed seeds tracked in. 

 So, if I get down to the manual pulling and keep up with it in the areas where I can't mulch, the conditions should get better year upon year. 

I will get out and do some work in the garden this week but not too much. I have some other projects indoors which need attention. Hoping I can accomplish that/those in one or two evenings. 

Daughter has been trying to talk me into getting a Honeysuckle bush for a while, so we got one of those this weekend. Now we just have to pick out a spot for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment