Tuesday, May 13, 2014

No gardening today

Not really cold but abnormally cool for this time of year this week. Some parts of the state and even the city had snow last night and this morning. Some areas have freeze warnings tonight. There is a freeze warning for my area but I have serious doubts about that. So do several weather forecasters.

Haven't been doing all that much outside so far this week and have lots to do inside. Though I do need to get out one evening and trim grass. 

I did go out and spray weed and grass killer. There was grass peeking through gaps in the weed fabric and mulch. Gaps are there because I did the mounds and trenches separately. So I did go ahead and spray the grass where it's not too close to the crops. It's also a short acting herbicide. Did that while the wind was calm. 

I see sunflowers and Cosmos sprouting lots of places now. So, hoping to get lots of flowers this summer. I have lots of additional flowers starting in containers for transplant later. Marigolds, Zinnias and Blue Bonnets. Lavender and Gladiolus are pretty well developed but not blooming yet. Not lacking on pollinators so far, for what is growing at this point. 

Grape vines are looking kind of shaggy! Just trimmed them a few days ago but they keep sprouting off new runners. Going to have to keep those trimmed if I want some decent size grapes this year. Watching closely to be sure I'm not cutting off new grape growth. 

Saw some small baby apples starting to form the other day. Only had like two last year but think we may have more this year. Hopefully a decent size, too. May lack until the other apple tree gets big enough to flower, for cross-pollination. Not seeing any plums yet. The tree has been kind of young before but hoping for at least a couple of plums this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment