Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Back yard

Got the grass trimmed in the back yard tonight. Patched the irrigation system (because I knocked some pieces apart with the weed whacker). Pulled weeds manually.

So far, I seem to be keeping ahead of the bindweed. Been able to prevent any of it from setting flowers or seeds yet. Not sure just how long I may win this battle. Seems the seeds can remain viable in the soil for up to 30 years. Making the best way to eradicate it to encourage the existing seeds to grow, then pull and poison the plants before they set seed. 

I have other weeds coming up, also but they are less of a direct threat because they don't strangle plants. However, they do consume nutrients and divert them from crops and more desirable flowers. Others are real nuisance plants, various species of goat heads. Trying to keep those controlled before they go to seed. Doing okay so far. 

Had to replace batteries in the dog's collars tonight. Started to walk outside and one of the dogs was in the garden. He had crapped and chewed some things up but luckily I caught him before he did any digging. I walked out there with good timing. No punishment but he started to head toward the garden right after I replaced the batteries and got the idea quickly. (No shock, he turned back when his collar beeped at him.) 

I've started running the irrigation an extra cycle here and there. I may just set the whole system to run an extra cycle each night. Lot of plants are growing really slowly and showing what I take as signs of sodium overload. Curled leaves, slow growth, pale color. Maybe it would help if I ran acid more frequently and in smaller amounts. I think the extra water should help some. The garden grew like crazy last year when we had all the rain. Maybe I should take that as an indicator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment