Monday, June 2, 2014

Change of tactics

Tomato plants are not doing so great. Remaining really small. So, I think it was an error to place weed fabric and mulch around them. I think it's stealing nitrogen from the plants and keeping oxygen from the soil. So tomorrow going to pull the weed fabric and mulch from the mounds. Hoping it has been there long enough to help kill off some of the grass and weeds to the surrounding soil. 

Of course, I can't be completely sure. It's a strange year. The Cosmos, which grow at around the same time and rate as the tomatoes are still only inches tall and they're not mulched. Maybe I should wait a few days. Or remove the mulch from a few tomato plants and leave others mulched and see which ones benefit most. 

Going to get up early tomorrow and plant out the remaining tomato seedlings and maybe some pepper seedlings, also. I did note a wild tomato plant or two coming up again where they were last year. Not taking them down but may move them once they gain a little more height.

Because of the heat, I increased the irrigation and made it twice per night in one zone which had been one time per night. Hoping it helps the plants handle the heat better. 

Pulled weeds tonight. Have to trim grass sometime this week.It wasn't completely conscious at first but I noticed today that as I get one kind of weed under control, I am focusing more on other types of weeds. I am getting ahead of some of them. Not all but hoping to get there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment