Thursday, June 19, 2014

Taming wild ones

Taming the wild tomato plants. I dug up the random tomato plants which were springing up and replanted them where some other plants had failed. So, I'm up to about 15 tomato vines now. Last couple of years, my major crops came from an average of 7 vines. Of these current ones, about 3 are questionable if they'll survive. They're all looking a lot better since I sprayed for white flies. I'm just taking the safe route and spraying insecticidal soap every day. Keeping it isolated to the tomato vines, especially at the soil surface. 

Doing much the same with pumpkin and cucumber vines. Trying to keep squash bugs and cucumber beetles at bay. I haven't seen cucumber beetles but see some signs they're around. No signs of squash bugs this morning but caught two adults this evening. No eggs from them and the adults are now dead. 

I may have to separate the cucumber vines into different containers, to give them more space. 

Haven't planted green beans yet. Have to plant them this week. Going to use containers for them, also. Just to make it easier to keep weeds controlled. It will also help me avoid building large trellises this year. Stick with poles instead. Maybe a ring of containers with poles between them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment