Thursday, June 5, 2014

Phosphorous

Phosphorous was delivered today. Checked the label. I'm probably going to need more. The label says to use as much as 5 lbs per 200 sf. I'm applying to a much larger area than that. But not going overboard. 

I used half the bag, dissolved it in water mixed with ammonia and acid. The ammonia provides nitrogen plus helps the acid along. Then the acid helps the phosphorous absorb. So, I'm expecting to see a big difference very quickly. I ran it through the fertilizer injector. Because of the filter system, I expect any particles which didn't dissolve immediately will get caught in the filter and dissolve more slowly and be applied with subsequent watering. 

Not all of it dissolved (in the time I let it sit), so I saved the part which didn't dissolve and will apply it manually more selectively to the rose bushes and flowers in the front yard tomorrow. Not that it's needed all that much. There are an amazing number and size of roses growing this year! On the down side, they don't last long. They start degrading the same day they bloom. That's because of the salt. Getting better but still a ways to go. It's obvious salt is the problem because of the burned look to the edges, sometimes before the roses completely open. The more water and acid I apply, the less I see the problem. I just don't want to go too far with it and wind up damaging roots. 

One down side I am aware of. Applying the phosphorous will probably cause the lettuce and spinach to bolt faster. But with temperatures hitting 100 degrees or close, it was going to do that, any way. I'm not sure what effect it will have on potatoes but again it's getting so hot I'm going to have to harvest them soon. Hope they got to be a decent size!

On the up side, I'm really hoping it has a positive effect on grapes, tomatoes, apples and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment