Monday, June 16, 2014

Peppers out

Last night, I planted out the scorpion peppers. They've been in the window with lots of sun, so didn't have to be hardened off against sun, only wind. 

Tonight, got the large tomato plant (Park's Whopper) planted out. Had it outside for a couple of days in sun and wind. It showed no signs of scald or other problems, so I went ahead and planted it out. 

Pulled weeds. Almost completely bindweed free! Ones I have found were all small and weak. On the other hand, grass between plants is growing too tall. Only choice is to pull by hand. Definitely going to solarize after final harvest this year. 

Trimmed the grape vines. They're growing new extensions so fast I could probably trim them daily if I had the time. One of the good things about that is that it adds some major amounts of green material to the compost. With the placement of the vine, it results in a complete cycle which will last for years, even if I moved the compost bin. It's near one vine, so the roots absorb the runoff from the compost and then the leaves and vines feed the compost. Grapes on both vines are looking pretty decent, still gaining size and lots of them! I still think the red grapes will remain small, it's just the variety. Green ones started getting big amazingly fast after they flowered. Not as many, though. Red ones will probably make good grape juice, wine or vinegar if I get to it this year. Maybe jelly?

No comments:

Post a Comment