Sunday, June 8, 2014

Seeds located

Found the cantaloupe seeds I had misplaced. At least, one bag. These are from 2009, so I'm not really sure how many will germinate. There was another bag from 2012 which I could not locate. Any way, I did plant some of these out a little while ago. Not sure of whether any are sterile, I planted two for each hole instead of one. 

I also planted seeds for giant watermelon, which are from 2012. Many of those grew last year, though not quite as large as the first year. There could be a lot of reasons for that. 

Last thing I planted tonight was pie pumpkin seeds. I have a couple of giant pumpkin plants growing. I may plant some more because of past squash bug problems killing my giants. 

Trimmed the grape vines. Here's a good thing- as the grapes are gaining size, the vine growth is slowing slightly. The green grapes always mature later than the red ones and in fewer numbers. The red ones already appear to be larger than ever before. Slightly. None are turning color yet, so I'm hoping they're going to keep growing larger. 

Had to get out and spray for weeds again this morning. Same areas keep springing back with huge numbers of weeds but the number is slowly decreasing as the existing seeds sprout and then get killed off. I am keeping ahead of them going to seed for once, so that's a huge advantage. I haven't yet won the war but have definitely turned the tide in my favor. 

Getting frustrated with how late things are getting started, I looked back over years prior to last year. Seems things are pretty much on track for this time of year, for a normal year. Last year was exceptional. Previous years I wrote about things only being a few inches tall at this point, except corn and sunflowers. So, nothing much to be frustrated about. I know from last year that I could plant more seeds now and have at least a partial or small harvest from what I planted now. 

The paper seed containers were a bust. They fell apart before being able to plant them out. Maybe I'll try some brown cardboard instead. I've done that before as separators but not actually trying to make containers. It would be worth a try. Would not expect them to hold together like peat pots but if they hold well enough to contain plants until transplant time, that would be okay. If they fell apart during transplanting that would be okay, too. They could always be composted. 

I'm getting pissed off at the fact that there are mosquitoes in my yard. Absolutely no chance a single one is from my yard. There are no containers holding water in my yard, so that means they are coming from a neighbor's yard. I think the next door neighbor. I'm going to check out his yard while up on the roof this week and see what he has holding water. It's not asking for too much for him to dump the water or spray poison. Hell, I'll give him the damn poison and lend him the sprayer if necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment