Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Almost there

Even though my daughter and the dog were around, I managed to get 10 of 12 roof supports in place on the greenhouse today. I miscalculated and cut the last two very slightly short. I'll have to find something around here to attach some additional length to those. I know I have something which will work. 

My daughter was no problem. The dog insisted on first standing, then lying down on the drill cord. Not once, not twice but at least ten times. I'm rather certain that if this dog were human, he would be permanently institutionalized if someone didn't kill him first.

Once the last two pieces are in place, I can put the plastic sheeting up. All that will be left then is making doors, which can wait a little while. I just have flaps in place right now, which I can Velcro. That, repairing dog damage and tightening up loose ends. 


I have known this greenhouse would be a temporary one and would be replaced in the future with one more permanent. It does appear this one may be a lot more temporary than I had thought, if things keep going the way they have with it. One major goal with this was experimenting to get different processes and routines down, to figure out the major needs of a more permanent structure before building it. Right direction, yard placement, least environmentally and financially costly heating and cooling methods, etc. I have learned a lot in a short time and continue to do so. That makes me want to keep the temporary greenhouse up even longer, not knowing what I may learn in the future. 


However, I do intend to design and build a more permanent greenhouse myself. One thing I have a history of is making designs which are adaptable over time. I have debated whether to build several smaller greenhouses instead of one large one. I've already decided on making it one large greenhouse. However, I will design it with multiple rooms and movable walls. This will allow for different temperature ranges and lighting levels in different rooms for different crop needs. It can also ramp down during winter months if necessary or allow for easier rotation and isolation. The most difficult considerations are ventilation and pollination. But I have plenty of time to work on those issues, as I won't be even starting solid planning of such a thing for at least a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment