Sunday, November 1, 2009

Some trees planted

Okay, granted this doesn't look all that impressive as yet. However, I've planted 29 tree seeds and 8 grape vine seeds. So far, these include Dixon Apples, Golden Apples, Bartlett Pears, Lemons and Black Grapes. 

For anyone who thinks my idea is too expensive, here are my costs: Seeds: $0. I don't count the cost of the seeds because they are all harvested from food we ate.  Soil: Top Soil from Lowe's: $1.86. This cost will likely be eliminated in the future, as I'll be rotating at least four compost pits. Cups: $2 from Dollar Tree. Plastic sandwich bags for wintering seeds: Roughly $0.02 each, for four bags. (50 bags for $1, Dollar Tree.) Highest cost was the Sterilite box, $8 at Walmart. If you have something else suitable, that cost can be eliminated or reduced. It is reusable and will likely last for years, though.


So, total cost of planting 8 grape vines and 29 tree seeds was $11.94 before taxes. I'm not counting the cost of water because it really only takes so little that the cost is negligible.

The cost may go up in the future, unless I can talk someone into donating plastic planters. That will be some time away, though. Up to a year. Even then, I've found greenhouse supply places that sell 1 gal containers for about $45 per 100. Assuming a constant cost, at this rate, it will cost me about $0.81 per tree/plant to produce at least 100 plants. Even including shipping and price increases, it should not come out to any more than $1 each. So, that comes out to $100 or less per year to improve the environment and make an ongoing contribution to feeding those in need. I don't find that too expensive, especially since it's split up through the entire year.


No comments:

Post a Comment