Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Weed fabric

Composted the main garden a couple days ago, all raked out and such. Then laid out weed fabric, some mulch on top (need to buy more). Then, of course, the dog started pulling it around. Got it back in place and had a strong talk with the dog. May seem strange to rake off the top layer of soil into the compost pit, then apply compost from another two pits but I had a big problem with clover overgrowing everything. I'm hoping the weed fabric deters that. Want to give it a little time before planting anything else. If that doesn't work, I'll probably have to use black plastic, instead. I'd prefer to avoid chemicals if at all possible.


Original plantings in the raised bed are growing well. However, the broccoli seems to have simply disappeared. Think it's the dog again. I know he dug more garlic out.

Got a reprieve in the weather and it's been rather warm. Supposed to drop below freezing again this weekend or early next week again. I should be able to get some, if not all the roof on the greenhouse by then. Or I'll have to devise a temporary cold cover for the raised bed. Not too hard as yet, since most of the plants are still small. Though I'm going to have to install a trellis for the peas soon. They're ready to start creeping now but not tall enough for a trellis.

Potted tomatoes are growing rather well. I transplanted some of the larger ones to bigger containers and added some of my own compost. They look like they're taking to it much better than the bagged stuff, as they became greener and growth accelerated within like two days.

Okay, have to get moving. I have a test to take for a new job application today. Hoping to get this. More stable and within walking distance from my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment