Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dug out

Got one more compost pit dug out earlier in the day. Soil was so hard I broke my garden fork and had to move to the pickax to loosen it. Finished that one, was tired and expected to work tonight. Got canceled from work, so went ahead and dug out the last pit. So, I now have one compost pit in each corner of the greenhouse. Though it will take a while to have enough material to fill them with proper material. There is the issue of three large piles of dirt to deal with..


Leveled and raked out the main garden. Raked most of the top material into the pits. Still have some work toward the back of the greenhouse but it's starting to look pretty good. 


It's easy to see the difference in the soil from the main garden area from when I moved in. The soil at the entrance has not been worked, so it's still gray, sandy and dry. The garden soil is dark brown, loose and holds moisture well. 


The dog seems to like digging up my garlic. Have to plant more. He's learning and I have plenty of room to plant. 


I had begun having doubts about the size and design of the greenhouse for a while. Too big? Too ambitious? Is the roof too low? Those doubts are fading now that I'm getting it in shape. It's large but not precocious. The roof height should be easy to maintain and make it easier to heat, while retaining higher CO2 levels, once the compost pits are going and the roof is up. It will have plenty of room to grow while not feeling cramped. It's simple but not ugly and, with a few embellishments, should eventually be quite attractive. So, in spite of doubts and late financial constrictions, I think I've made good choices along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment