Monday, November 2, 2009

Even better

Took another look at the prices of one gallon planters. Turns out one site I had saved does not charge $45 per 100, as I had thought. That price is for 200! How cool is that?! I find it really cool but maybe I'm a dork, okay?

Only one corner of the main garden is growing a few lettuce plants now. So, I dug one more compost pit and started filling it in with surface soil which had lots of clover growing on it. It also has lots of mulch. That one will take a long time to compost but figured the bacteria should feed well on it, over time. There's lots of clover growing all over the garden, but the root system is shallow. So, I'll probably take the first inch or two of surface soil and compost it over most or all of the winter. Everything is now within the confines of the greenhouse and, as I remove clover, new growth should be easy to spot and remove. 

I still need to dig two more compost pits, as I have one at each of the West corners but need ones for the East corners. I'll do that tomorrow. Not much as yet to put in them but why wait until later?

Leaves are falling, though rather slowly. My daughter has a romantic idea of jumping in a huge pile of leaves. Guessing she saw it on TV or video, as she has grown up in apartments until this year, so has never gotten to do this. There haven't been enough leaves to form a big pile yet but getting there. I've been avoiding raking until that happens. The ex made a comment about the work involved but I don't mind it a bit. I'll rake them into a pile several times, if necessary. She can invite her neighborhood friends and all of them can jump in the leaves. What the heck? They just help break them up a bit more before commending them to the compost pits. Um, that's the leaves, not the kids.

Over the winter, I'll build the planned raised beds. Still debating the eventual structure and end design of the whole garden and greenhouse. With the size of the greenhouse, I have room to place work tables along one side, maybe two. The picnic table may eventually wind up in there, as well. (Or a smaller one.) Overall, I'll have to accept my own nature and an evolving knowledge to the fact that the whole thing will be a work in progress for the rest of my life. Not a bad thing at all.

I'm not really much on flowers but my daughter is, so some portion of the garden will be dedicated to various types of flowers. At least starting them there before later transfer to different places in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment