Saturday, November 14, 2009

Clover soup

Today, my daughter helped me pull some of the clover today for use in my current experiment. I didn't even ask her to help, she just suddenly showed up at my side while I was gathering clover and started helping. I told her I was making soup for plants to eat and that got her excited. Not so excited after I ran some through the blender and asked her if she wanted some of it. The mixture came out of the blender a dark emerald green. Looked like something out of a sci-fi or horror movie. Pretty sure this stuff should have an extreme amount of Nitrogen in it.

I still haven't been able to positively identify this clover. It's not unattractive, has no thorns or anything like that. Only grows a few inches tall and grows well in shady areas. Some of the plants have sprouted tiny yellow flowers. I've tentatively identified it as a member of the mustard family of plants. (Sounds about right, judging from the odor when I blended it.) If I can control and confine it, I won't get rid of all of it. If it is the mustard plant I suspect, it's considered a winter grass and should mostly go dormant when warm weather returns. I'll have to research further, as it could have serious beneficial properties, here and well beyond my yard. 


I'm actually a little glad the greenhouse isn't finished yet. Between weather, normal wear and the dog, some parts of it have shown weaknesses in my design up to now. Sheets of plastic falling down, duct tape coming loose, various overlaps proving faulty. Got the drill back out and secured a few places today and it looks a lot better. Have to do many other spots later in the week, when I'm not neglecting my kid to do so. 


Really happy with the screws I purchased, which are "lath screws" by Phillips II. They cost around $7 for 170 of them, have broad heads and drill points, eliminating the need for drilling each hole. They also have a positive grip head and come with a special drill bit which engages the texture in the head. 


Supposed to freeze tonight. Still haven't had the money to finish the greenhouse, even though I need less than $30 at this point. But I have three domed plastic skylights I got for free, so I placed those over the raised bed and covered them with blankets for tonight. Works well for an improvised row cover. 


Okay, off to bed. Daughter will wake me early and I have no real idea what the day will bring after breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment