Sunday, March 21, 2010

One wooden pallet and Shiner Black

Went across the street and found one wooden pallet behind the shopping center. Actually, a partial pallet but that's fine. It's not staying in current configuration when I get done with it. In the same lot, found some carpet I can use for the doghouse. The doghouse may be kinda ugly but should be comfortable for the dog when done. 

Same trip, got the first six pack I've bought since about January. Still had two of those left.Finished them and may have 2-3 of the new pack before bed.

Got canceled from work tonight but still had to drop off my daughter with the ex. Just works out best that way. She wanted to stay with me and I felt the same. Missed her before I even walked out the door.

My daughter tries to emulate me in many ways. Says she wants to be a chef like me. (I'm certified from my years in restaurants.) How many 7 year old kids love garlic? She was cutting up garlic today because she loves the smell. Helped me cook dinner one night and actually listened to me as I told her what to do. She also wanted to do some building projects, so had me buy her some wood and nails for her own use. Tried cutting the wood today but it was too hard, so she marked it for me to cut with the circular saw. Then she showed me how she wanted each piece nailed together, which I did. It wound up being a wooden dog, quite well conceived and executed.  She did the design and the decoration, while I did the cutting and nailing.

Seems we have that in common. We may not be exciting to the outside world but we enjoy our time together, never knowing what the other will come up with next!

I do reflect on my life at times. Many times, I have made decisions based on finance, rather than preference. If finances had permitted, would I have bought a less rural house? If not for financial stresses, would I be working on this garden so much? I know I would not be searching back lots for used wooden pallets. Yet am I happy? Yes, overall I am! I do wish I had a more stable income. Yet when I'm called off, in contrast to the financial stress, I have an excitement about what the next day can bring, what I can accomplish.

For many years, I've searched for things which occupy my mind and time. Different languages, photography, cooking, mechanics, physics, economics, politics, medicine to name a short list. Now I find myself happier than I've been in many years with a rather rural lifestyle, recycling, scavenging. Who would think finding a wooden pallet would be such a positive thing?

Or maybe I should stop drinking this beer. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment