Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Salts

I've had the soaker hoses directly on top of the mounds to keep the soil damp while the seeds take. Now I'm seeing clearly the heavy salt content of the soil here which I've read about repeatedly.  Of course, it doesn't really look like salt so much as rust.

The advice I've read from UNM was to water in the trenches and allow the wicking effect to draw moisture into the mounds. Since doing the watering from the top, I imagine I should now continue doing so until the ground gets worked again. Watering from the bottom at this point would draw the salts right across the established roots. That's okay, I wasn't seeing the effect they mentioned so much, any way. Maybe that works well for soil with more organic material from being worked previously. 

I'm rather thinking of removing as much of the salts as I can as they become accumulated at the bottom of the mounds. Just scrape the surface salt off. Not sure what to do with it then..

No comments:

Post a Comment