Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Trap crops

So, after reading more on the early trap crops, decided it's not so much an idea for me. It's a good idea for those who are surrounded by other people who farm or garden. My neighbors raise animals, not crops. I would attract all the squash and cucumber bugs for miles. They'd tell their friends, set up little bug road signs, do a special report on Bug TV..

Besides, the growing season is nearly here in NM, so anything planted now would become main crop. However, a trap crop may not be a bad idea. Maybe use fly paper at various strategic points. I don't want to catch butterflies and bees in it. Chicks are also good for controlling bugs, so I can let them run loose around the garden. Once I get some chicks, of course. No rush, since nothing is growing outside just yet. Combine that with planting marigolds and garlic, I think I may be heading in the right direction to control bugs with no chemicals. When it gets a few degrees warmer, I'll buy some ladybugs, as well. Still too cold for them at night for now. Need to call the local garden center and put my name on the waiting list. (Last growing season, they didn't have them in until around October.)

I need to get started building the doghouse, chicken coop and maybe rabbit hutch but not too energetic today. Eyes watering, nose congested, moody. Blah! Doc says daughter has a cold and I think I may be coming down with it, too. Ex had pharyngitis for nearly two weeks, I'm wondering if it was the same thing. Or maybe I need to get up and move around. Don't guess it would hurt, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment