Monday, October 5, 2009

Good news, bad news

Bad news first. Been getting canceled from work constantly for the past couple of weeks. I work for an agency and work is not stable. Besides, I think the local hospitals signed travel nurses to contracts. They're also in the middle of the annual graduate nurse hiring spree. So, they have a bunch of inexperienced (and poorly motivated) people taking care of patients and leave the experienced nurses out in the cold for months. Normal practice here. So, I'm looking at the possibility of a travel contract of my own, outside of town. Within 400 miles, so I can get back here to spend time with my daughter when not working. See what comes up.


The lack of work leaves me in the position of having to borrow money until something picks up. Blah.


Had a computer virus this weekend and it took three days to get rid of it. Luckily, nothing too damaging and nothing was lost. 


No word back yet from the other sources I wrote to about seeds. Still moving ahead, though. Started wintering some pear seeds yesterday. Will start wintering some apple seeds later today. I'll probably have to get some growing lights, so I can keep the plants inside through the winter once they start. Luckily, this house has two living rooms and I only have enough furniture for one of them. Guess I can fill the smaller first living room with plants. I've always joked about having a black thumb but that does seem to be changing very effectively.


The plastic over the rows and the tarp over the pumpkins seems to be helping a lot! Only about a week after planting, I have a row of cucumbers and a row of carrots sprouting. May not sound like much to some people but this is quite amazing to me! The tarp is helping the pumpkin plants along. They're getting enough sun but not wilting badly in the heat of the middle of the day. Some of the pumpkins have failed, while others are growing well. This morning, another female flower opened up and I cross-pollinated with the male from another plant. The flower is a Sugar Pie and the male flower was from a Dill Giant. Be cool if I wind up with a Giant Sugar Pie! LOL! 

In most parts of the country, it's too late to be planting new seeds which take any time. Charts say now is a good time here for last plantings of pumpkins, so I planted some more last week. However, it is taking a chance. I have a feeling winter will arrive early here this year and hit hard when it does. Still, if I can get one good crop from the garden, I'll be happy. Right now, the weather cooling down is a benefit to the garden. Think I may build row covers before the weather gets too cold. Need to work up a design which breaks down or folds up when not in use.


Between the unstable employment and actually getting things growing, I am thinking that if I get the garden producing well, I may eventually start selling produce. Right now, a bit early to count on that, considering where I'm starting from. I don't have enough land that I'll ever be able to live off what I produce but if it cuts my grocery bill and makes a few extra dollars here and there, it would be an advantage. I've been doing freelance writing, also. Not making much off of it but got a rather good break this past week. One of my articles was placed as a featured article by my primary publisher. The article is three years old but there's no expiration date on any article published with them. If I can get things stable enough to have a regular schedule and maybe depend less on local employers (who are highly unreliable across the board), I would have more time for multiple endeavors, including gardening. 


I've been to the local grower's market once and honestly have to say I wasn't highly impressed by the results I found there. Maybe I should try again and was just there at the wrong time of year. Most of the produce looked small and weak. Could be they use the best and only sell the remains. Can't blame them for that. Or it could be the whole desert issue, stunted growth and lack of moisture. I am hoping to develop some gardening techniques which produce better results, even if it takes time. Some people have lived here for over 30 years who sell produce. However, I see lots of gardens in the area but few windbreaks or shelters built for the purpose. Not many trees growing in cultivated spots, only on the edges. Seems to me that strategically placed trees can make a world of difference. Maybe not much will grow under trees but that remains true if the trees are on the edge of land or in the middle. However, spaced apart, they offer more intermittent shade to soil and other plants, protecting them from extensive sun damage. All grouped together at a distance from other plants decreases their advantage to the area.



Only theories and thoughts I will be putting to the test over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment