Friday, October 16, 2009

Taking shape




May not look like much yet but the greenhouse is taking shape. Going to be more than a one day effort but what shows in the picture was done in less than three hours. Somewhat good thing is that we're experiencing a late heat wave right now.


I don't have anything firmly anchored or glued as yet. At this stage, I'm getting the pieces together so they fit and placement is well established. The upright posts will be set 12" or more in the ground. 


A few things evident in the picture firmly establish why I am building this. One is the sandy nature of the soil. I know the sun shelter isn't very decorative but it's temporary. The pumpkin plants wilt daily in direct sun. The wooden fence in the picture is my neighbor's. (Not sure why but it's common practice for each individual yard in this area to have it's own fence, often right against the next property's fence.)  


Another thing evident in the picture is that I got one raised bed built, complete with plastic weed liner. I only have it staked for now, going to nail it together tomorrow. Ran out of nails. Final dimensions were 10'x2'x6". Not huge, not for large plants with deep roots but functional. Not bad for under $10 and about 30 minutes work.



Made a last trip to the hardware store today. The cost is now slightly over $100 but that was spread out over 2-3 weeks and still not a bad deal, considering the whole thing will cover 400+ sq ft, probably over 420 sq ft, so the cost comes down to less than $0.25 per sq ft. Besides, I know I got too many fittings and may have surplus pipe when all is done. Come in handy for shelves or irrigation later.


Been struggling with the design, considering that I have to be able to construct this by myself. Biggest issue was how to get the sheeting over the top, since I don't have a freestanding ladder. Finally figured out the solution yesterday. Post more on that after it's done. 


Got a ceiling fan for $20 from Walmart and hung it last night. Works well and has a one year warranty, so can't be complete garbage. Hummed rather loud at first but seems broken in now and much quieter. Takes some strange bulbs I'd never seen before with "candelabra base", size of a nightlight bulb base. Since the ancient chandelier in the dining room completely burned out, I had no direct light there for a few weeks until now. So, now I have light and air circulation, both good things. Took $20 and one hour of work. (I take my time with wiring and heavy objects hanging from the ceiling. Heavy wired rotating objects hanging from the ceiling get lots of attention!)



Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment