Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh, well

I returned the call to the NM Dept of Agriculture. No direct assistance, just some advice. It was good advice, though. 

One thing was that the solid waste dept offers free compost to whomever asks for it. I knew about this but their website refers to needing a truck to pick it up. I have a van. I will call them and see if maybe I can load a few Sterilites at a time and haul compost that way. 


No matter what, I am still moving forward with the project. Have seeds wintering in the fridge now. Some have only been there a few days, others a few weeks. I keep adding with the items my daughter and I eat. She gets excited at the idea of planting them. She's careful to look for and save seeds whenever she eats fruits now. Most of what she has helped me save goes in the fridge. We haven't explored seeds together which have to be dried yet.



The base section of the greenhouse is pretty much complete. Little fine tuning as I complete the rest is in order. It won't be perfect but it should be quite stable and definitely large enough. Need about two connectors to complete the base, each about $1 or less. 

The top section is going to have some intentional give, as I am building it with a couple of feet of sliding sections. The winds can get fierce here, so I think the sliding section will allow more flexibility when it's strong. The top section will intentionally slide, then spring back when the wind subsides. Takes some of the stress off other parts of the structure. If more rigidity to the sides is needed, I can always fill the pipes with concrete. 

Supposed to have cooler weather coming in next week and seems the first frost isn't too far away. Knew it would come early this year. Need to get this done soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment