Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sides up

I have the plastic sheeting up on the sides of the greenhouse. The plastic doubles over for the top few feet, which should help with winter weather. Just having the sides up should help with an overnight cold snap. 

Got the sliding sections up which I mentioned. However, the overall height is between 9-10 ft now. Wanted it closer to 8 for easier maintenance and less wind resistance. Besides, 10 ft looks a little precocious. So, I'm going to cut the height down a bit before covering the top. Shouldn't take long.

Have to weigh the sides down to block more wind from the bottom. I have loose bricks and one railroad tie which should serve the purpose. Still need to clamp the plastic, too, as duct tape isn't going to last for long, especially when the weather gets colder. 

Transferred a bunch of plants out to the raised bed this weekend which were getting too big for the peat pots. Hope they do well. I had been hardening them to outside weather for a while. 

I had harvested, fermented and dried some seeds from a beefsteak tomato a few weeks ago. Planted them in some peat pots. I'm excited to say they're growing! May not sound like much to some people but this is the first time I've ever done this. I also harvested and dried seeds from a cantaloupe this weekend and was amazed at how many seeds I obtained. If you buy seed packets, you only get about 1/4 of that for more than the cost of one fruit! Kind of a rip-off, isn't it? Just saving those for spring. 

One edge of the smaller compost pit extends under the side of the greenhouse. Think I'll fill in the outside edge and dig out the inside, to experiment with the heat production aspect. If it helps heat the greenhouse through the winter, that would be great! If it does harm, I'll just fill it in and move it back outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment