Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Greenhouse supplies

Got supplies for building the greenhouse today. Decided on a size of 25 ft long x 20 ft wide x roughly 10 ft high (debatable on the height but should reach at least 8 ft). I'm making the design adaptable, so it can convert to a simple sun shelter in spring and summer, if necessary. Though the door frame would still be in place with current design. May adapt more later so the front and rear panels remove with the door and window frames, just so it doesn't look funny. Then again, what to do with those panels when removed? Hmm.

Maybe use them for a frame for the swamp cooler shade? Only take a couple more PVC pipes to hook them together and I'd have a door for maintenance. Have to give it more thought but in reality I have at least until April to think about it, so no rush. I know the frames would be light enough to hoist on the roof with a rope quite easily.

Got the wood for some simple raised garden beds, also. I think 10' x 4' is a good size, though maybe I'll reduce the width to 3'. Once again, convertible. Not making the beds very high, so no need to use strong attachments. I can later take them apart and change the size if I have to. Little messy but can be done.

Total cost for the greenhouse came in under $70. For the raised beds, under $15 each.

This really is the best time of year to shop for gardening supplies. Seed starter peat pots were less than $2 for 32 at Lowe's. Got two 6 ft patio umbrellas for $3.87 each at Harbor Freight Tools! Just a little happy about that last one!

Got some wood for more shelves for the house, too. House has been a mess because of not having enough closet or shelf space. Just a few more shelves will do the trick, though. 


Guess I should get to bed or I won't be getting anything done later.

No comments:

Post a Comment