Friday, February 5, 2010

Block fence



 


Got the rest of the tree moved into the green wood pile, except for one large log. I was still too sore to lift it. Weighs about 200 lbs. I'll just have to move it when my back feels better. It's the log in front of the stump in the top left pic.

Got started on the block fence today. Left pic is the back of the house, right pic is the front fence. Some explanations are in order. I'm not just willing to part with the fence as material for the solarium, it's more than that. As can be seen, the fence has been hit by a vehicle at some point in the past. Not shown is that the front fence leans at one end, ready to fall. There's also a large gap where part of it was already taken down at some time. The whole thing would need repair if I were to keep it. I'd rather take it down and plant trees in front of the house.

You can't tell by looking (as I couldn't in person) but the fence is comprised of multiple forms of blocks. Going to have to sort them and decide how each form can be used. 

I managed to take the top section off the entire length today. A lot of the top section was the old green type of cinder block, very fragile by block standards. Luckily, none of the rest seem to be the same kind. The fence is coming apart more easily than I expected. The mortar for much of it is largely sand and comes apart with a few well-placed knocks of my 2 lb hammer. Others require the masonry chisel but once knocked loose, they come right off. The old stucco comes off in sheets. 

While I was learning where to place the "well-placed" hammer strikes, a few blocks were chipped or cracked. I can use those to build a housing for the mailbox, which was hit with a bat at some point in time. If I make a housing of block and stucco, it's unlikely to be vandalized that way again. Those blocks wouldn't be good for load-bearing but if mortared and stuccoed, the cracks and chips won't show. 
My daughter is here now and I don't care to ignore her while doing these projects. Once she's not here I can get the whole thing down in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment