Monday, February 15, 2010

Wireless

Since I moved, I've been unable to find the AC converter for my wireless modem. That is, until this week. Which had me trapped in the office when using the computer. Finally found the converter, which gives me more freedom of movement around the house. (And outside, when the weather improves.)

Been making a mistake with the compost pit until today. Being a compost pit, it runs down to the clay level of the soil. I've been avoiding spreading the clay with the compost. Since clay retains soil and helps maintain the cohesion of the soil, I really should have been spreading that with the compost. Within limits, of course. Started doing that today.

So, spread the compost from the pit today. A lot of it is still fairly large pieces, such as twigs and bamboo leaves which aren't fully composted. However, in between was good compost, so I spread all of it. Watered it down heavily to leech the nutrients into the soil. Now I'm going to let it dry for a couple of days (assuming it doesn't rain), then rake it out. Once it's dry, the smaller organic material will filter out while raking. Then I'll either return the larger bit back to the pit or just dispose of it. This will also let me start the next batch, being sure to use smaller pieces along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment