Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Row, row, row your garden

Dug out two rows in the garden. Might take a while to complete this because it's rather hard on my shoulders. I have RCIS in both shoulders. 

Each mound is 36' long and about 18" wide. Read from UNM that this is the most efficient way to build mounds for planting here. Conserves water because the large mass dehydrates more slowly than smaller mounds. Smaller mounds are probably more popular in cooler climates, where the smaller mass warms more quickly. Crops can be planted on each side of the mounds and watering is done on the sides, so the high salt content in the soil migrates toward the center of the mound, away from the plants. 

I sectioned off each mound into smaller lengths. Each mound has three 10' sections and one 6' section. So, a total of eight mounds so far. Of course, I can plant different crops in each mound or the same crop on multiple mounds. I'll plant flowers in the smaller sections. That will make my daughter happy, besides attracting bees, butterflies and hummingbirds, each of which helps with pollination. Going to alternate placement of the smaller sections, two on one end, two on the opposite end. That way I don't have too many bees habitating right next to the house and the pollinators go throughout the garden, not just staying in one place.

Not planting today. Watered the soil and need to let it settle overnight before planting, as it's still rather loose. I'll plant tomorrow.

Got the new compost batch brewing. Hope 6-8 weeks is enough time for sufficient decomposition to use it by late April or early May.

The garden is currently split in half, with raised beds running down the center. I'm working on the south section right now. Think I have enough room for three more rows there but it may be only two.

Have to work tonight, so it's time for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment