Friday, February 12, 2010

Naivete and bad memory!

This should tell how much I have to learn about gardening!

I wrote something about N being mined. Not so and I'm guessing some people who read that knew it. Doh! What I had read about and mixed up was vermiculite, I believe. N comes from organic sources and there is no shortage now or in the future of reserve sources. Still, it the process. Not to mention less expensive.

I'm understanding why nothing grew last year and now I have some fixing to do before planting out. I had read about using lime to adjust pH in the soil and even read in multiple places how to use it for acidifying the soil. However, lime is extremely alkaline and reduces the acid in the soil. Not long ago, I spread a whole bunch of lime on the garden soil. Can't remove it, so have to fix it. 

Since Phosphorous raises the acidity, I need to get a lot of P to lower the pH before planting out. Luckily, one of the best forms of this is inexpensive. Simple Epsom Salt will do the trick. Available at Dollar Tree and Family Dollar. Going to do that today. Epsom Salt is Magnesium Sulfate, so it also contains a lot of Magnesium, which plants need and which frequently lacks in our diets today. 

I'll get this stuff right sooner or later.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment