Monday, June 10, 2013

Beneficial insects

Seeing an expanding variety and number of beneficial insects this year! Looks like they hung up a sign for each other, "Eat at Rusty's!"

Between daughter and I, we have seen ladybugs in increasing numbers. Happy to see them! Means we finally managed to establish a resident colony!

We have also spotted lacewings, bees, hornets, butterflies and predatory wasps. 

I have finally managed to establish that there are earthworms in every single irrigated area of the yard and garden. Which is a strong indication the sodium is getting under control at last. Before this, the soil was too dry, too hard and too sodic for them.

A moderate number of crickets is evident. In shady areas, they even sing in the daytime! I find them very relaxing to listen to. 

Green beetles haven't emerged yet but are an annual helper. Still hoping to see more mantids in the garden this year. 

We have a hummingbird which has apparently taken up residence in the corner of the shed. Rather hope that develops into a family of them!

The net effect of all of this is that the garden is growing quite well, with little evidence of insect damage so far. Even the ant population is down, indicating a lower aphid population for them to "farm". 

I have lots and lots of sunflowers planted, which attracts the aphids away from the rest of the garden. That, in turn, attracts more ladybugs and predators. 

Some Nasturtium have bloomed and more getting ready to flower. Couple of sunflowers ready to open up. Other flowers forming buds. Roses in the front. So, I expect to see quite a display within the next couple of weeks. With that, I should experience a beneficial insect invasion! Pollinators, Unite! lol!

The garden this year has also become quite a microcosm for beneficial insects. I have fairly consistent water sources, dry areas, somewhat damp areas, sunny areas, shady areas and a good size compost heap. 

My daughter has been quite a valuable resource for me. She's my little insect encyclopedia! Some insects I have questioned the value of and she has known about them and been very informative! Love that kid! 

No comments:

Post a Comment