Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Done weeding for now

I'm done weeding for a few days. Knees and hands won't take any more.

Spent all day yesterday tilling, cutting and pulling weeds. Most of the bindweed is now dealt with for the moment. I know I will still be dealing with it the rest of the summer but the primary growth is gone. 

There are some spots which have a concentration of bindweed in between carrots. I'll till that under when I harvest the carrots, which will be soon.

Still an ongoing battle with dandelion and goatheads but catching all of them before they seed, so far. 

I planted a total of six flower beds this year. Four are doing great. Lots of sprouts and stalks but few flowers yet. Two beds aren't doing much. They are the newest ones, though. Going to toss more compost out on top of those spots this afternoon, see if it helps. Even if it doesn't help now, it should help in the future. I suspect an extremely high sodium level in that soil which is taking time to dissipate and neutralize. 

Hot today and abnormally humid. Rain forecast for this afternoon. Hoping it does! I have no problem working in the garden in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment