Friday, June 28, 2013

Sorghum take 2

Decided to give sorghum a second shot. Planted all the rest of the seeds I had. If it grows, I'll figure out some way to extract the syrup. This is sweet sorghum seed. Seems there are several different varieties of sorghum. Some is good for syrup, some is good for flour. Apparently no one variety is good for both. Darn.

Oh yeah. I forgot. At least one variety is also supposed to be good for popcorn! Supposed to be sweeter than regular popcorn, no hulls and allegedly healthier. Worth a try!

Some things I have heard of that I'd like to try with sorghum are making wine (may be questionable), liquor, ethanol (those will require distilling and may have to wait), molasses and sugar. I also saw a reference to sorghum butter. Might look into that. 

All in all, sorghum sounds like a really useful crop. If you can get it to grow.

The amazing thing is how much seed costs. For something that produces so many seeds, they are much more expensive than they should be. So, unless I can find a good price, looks like it will take one crop to expand my seed cache. 

It seems plausible that I could raise two crops of sorghum per year here. (Maybe three if I ever get the solarium built.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment