Friday, June 28, 2013

More vines

Hmm. I posted that last entry on the wrong blog. The other one is new, so it was an honest mistake. Oh, well.

I see more watermelon and cantaloupe vines finally coming up. (Some may have been there for a short while but couldn't see them for grass and weeds, since they were so small until now.) 

Looks like I'm going to have to trim back some of the flowers. They're getting a bit invasive. They've served the purpose of drawing more pollinators and there are lots of flowers coming up and blooming in other places.

I'm fairly successfuly winning the race against most of the weeds this year. The effort continues but it's so much better than the last two years. 

I do admit some sections of the garden are becoming impassible because I have things so densely planted. However, that is a benefit for younger plants that need more consistent moisture and shade until developed. The areas less densely planted are where seedlings are struggling. In the densely planted areas, I have deliberately planted tall, medium and low growing crops. Each helps the other along. Especially in the triple digit heat. 

By the time the weather starts cooling down, most of the taller crops and even some medium crops will be ready to harvest. Take those down, which will allow more sun for the lowest crops. Then plant more fast growing low crops in their place, which will help regulate soil temperature. 

I spoke with the rep from the grower's market and she says everyone is having the same problems. Set back by frost. Then cool crops remaining small and then bolting. Even heat loving crops maturing slowly because of temperature extremes. She said her tomato plants haven't even started producing yet. Mine are producing wildly but nothing ripe yet. Her carrots are all tiny, also. (Note to self- maintain more regulated soil temps for carrots.) 

I really need to get out and spread my mature compost plus more gypsum. Maybe this evening. Mixing them is not a bad option. 

Sadly, it's looking more and more like I pruned the green grape vine too much. Doesn't appear like it will have any grapes this year. No sign of any yet. Bummer. Those were the best grapes in the garden.   

I just read back over old blog entries. I have encountered many of the same problems year upon year, with the same progression. However, I can honestly say it has been with progress. Each year sees some improvement over the previous year. I love the fact that I have wild tomatoes, pumpkin and corn coming up in surprising places. It gives me a greater chance to assess companion planting of various crops. Besides, I think it makes the garden more interesting. If I start seeing damage because of a mixture, I can always transplant one of the wild bunch. So far, haven't seen any obvious damage. Even with the corn and tomatoes being so close together. The advice against that is apparently due to common invaders. However, the corn next to the tomatoes is a short crop, so I will be taking those down in a few weeks. For now, some of them make good trellises for the wild green beans, which will come out at the same time. 

I'm not all that trusting that all the bush bean seeds I got are bush beans. Many of them seem to be trying to climb. With nothing to climb nearby. They'll have to go with their first crop. Going to keep rotating bush beans, saving some for planting. Let them dry and put them back in the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment