Monday, June 24, 2013

I hate weeds

I hate pulling weeds. Definitely a fact of life when you grow things without herbicides. Definitely a necessity if you want decent crops and flower beds. For one thing, it keeps damaging insects under more control. 

That said, I cultivated much of the areas now cleared with lettuce and carrots all harvested. Cultivating only takes care of the trenches. The mounds still have to be dealt with manually in some form. Carefully, since many of those mounds have bush beans, watermelon and pumpkin plants sprouting. Some mounds I used a hoe, others I still had to do by hand. 

Got much of that done this evening. Getting the garden in better shape by brute force this year. Working well so far, with everything looking better than previous years. Really hoping getting weeds under control this year will mean less of a problem in future years. 

More tomato plants are getting to a size where they should produce fruit soon. Some have started growing fruit at surprisingly small plant sizes. Then continue to grow larger. Considering my finances, I may wind up having to use old PVC for supports soon if the plants keep growing rapidly enough. Not going to complain. I'll just balance things out for esthetics by using all 1x2's in the north section and PVC on the south. 

Cucumbers and green beans have started climbing the trellises! I was surprised that the cucumbers are climbing (so far) without training. I've always read how they have to be trained. I've only had one cucumber vine grow by a trellis and I had to train that one. It still didn't do extremely well. Looking for better this time around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment