Thursday, June 20, 2013

Squash bug battle 2013

So, squash bug battle 2013 began today. I only have a few pumpkin plants so far, so it was easy to thoroughly look over each leaf, kill the adults and squash all the eggs I found. Not going to assume I found all of them. Last year I found squash bug eggs on corn plants. Off to a good start, though. I thought they were here somewhere the other day. I've found I can smell squash bugs before I see them. They have a sickening sweet odor. If you've ever squashed one, you know what I mean.

Already have about 5 pumpkins growing. Still hoping for at least one huge one this year.

The dozens of tomatoes look like they are turning into hundreds! Went out a little while ago to add more cross beams and did some more support tying. Really rapid growth happening now! I need more 1x2's.

By this weekend, lots more flowers should be in full bloom. Turning into the display I have worked toward for several years now! 

Pole beans along the trellis should be climbing by tomorrow morning. They finally developed beginning of tendrils. The wild pole beans have been climbing for a few weeks. No beans yet that I've seen. I'll let them grow some beans but not going to try and keep them picked so they keep producing. They're wrapping around anything and everything they can reach. 

Watermelon plants are finally coming up. If I recall, they came up about this late last year and I didn't see a melon until August. 

Not sure. I may have over pruned one of the grape vines. One source I encountered said grapes only grow from second year wood. However, I cut away all the second year wood. On the other hand, I cut away the second year wood from the other vine and it has lots of grapes growing. Maybe it depends on the type of grape. Have to wait and see. Again, the vine with no grapes yet produced later last year than the one which has grapes now. If that's the case, even better because it means a more extended grape crop! Going to get serious and try making some wine this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment