Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cooling down?

The current weather forecast says that we are done with triple digits! I'll believe it when the day temps drop into the 80's and stay there. For now, I'm happy!

Tomato plant count is now 34. Spotted another random plant in the flower bed. 

It has been so hot it has severely stressed the seedlings to the point they have just remained the same size. Few have died off. Even in shade, the potting soil dehydrates in the heat of the day. Think I'm going to have to extend the seed starting area and start tomato and pepper seedlings in waves starting about November.

Largest tomato plants are filling out and I have to keep tying more branches for support. Getting more flowers now. Tallest sunflower so far is over 9 ft tall. Here's a picture of daughter next to it. (She's not that heavy, something about the way she's standing plus horizontal stripes.)


The garden is a little wild but not as wild as it appears in this picture. I do need more trimmer line, though.


Can add another deterrent to bad bugs. We found a toad in the garden this weekend! Not a highly commonplace thing around here. Maybe closer to the river but we have only seen one wild toad even there in over 4 years. Since I spotted this toad last week in the front yard. the most amazing thing is that the toad made it past the dogs and the electric fence into the garden. 

Our resident hummingbird has taken a liking to me. I was spraying water one day and the hummingbird hovered, then flew right through the stream several times. A few days later, was puling weeds and it came within 2 ft of me, hovered in front of me for nearly a minute, then flew off. Hope to see more of them as the flowers open up. Daughter is really good at spotting them from a distance. 

Okay. Things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment