Saturday, December 26, 2009

Coaxial cable

So, went out to work on the solar room today and was hit with something I forgot about. I needed to remove a ton of coaxial cable from the outside walls of the house. 

The way the cable was run into this house (long before I moved in), the cable ran from the junction box, underground, around the back of the house and up the wall. This was where they placed the splitter. From there, back down, along the top of the ground, up the wall and back around the top of the same wall the underground cable had just run along, then down and through the living room wall. A separate cable ran up, across the roof, down the wall and into my daughter's bedroom. Another cable ran up, along the top of the roof and into the office. When I moved in, there was also a cable which ran along the top of the hallway from my daughter's room and into my bedroom. 

All of this could have been accomplished with the splitter on the wall outside next to the fireplace, then one single cable to supply every single room in the house. 

It's all gone now and the outside of the house looks much better. Not to mention I don't have to anchor the plastic around all those cables. I will have to anchor around the power and phone cables but they're close together and it won't be too hard.


It got late and I just dragged all the wood for the solar room inside. Cut most of it to size, so it's all ready for putting together during the day on Sunday. Got some small hinges to include a door for access to the water hose and the meter box.

Sometime in the next week or so Ive decided to take down the wooden fence along the South side of the property. It's in poor repair, missing random boards and ready to fall in places. Don't want it to be a safety hazard. Besides, it also blocks sun for some number of feet on that side of the yard. Neighbors may not appreciate it but if they want a privacy fence there, they're welcome to build one. They have a chain link fence on their side of my wooden fence. Really strange that there are two fences on each of three side of my property. Seems to say previous residents were not too popular, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment